If you do not have your login details, contact the WYSE Travel Confederation membership team on +31 (0)20 421 2800 or email membership@wysetc.org.

The Right Visa to Travel to Australia

13 June 2012
13 Jun 2012 - , ,

Few would turn down the opportunity to go to Australia, but as Australia immigration rules dictate that everyone entering the country requires a visa, you may still be unsure as to which one you need for the purposes of your visit.

Fortunately, it’s relatively easy to work out which visa is right for you, as making the right decision can be reduced to a couple of simple factors – what you want to do and how long you want to go for.

Here is a look at a few of the different Australia visa options available, who they are for and what they allow you to do.

Australian tourist visas must be applied for offshore and allow you to holiday in Australia. How long you can stay in Australia depends on which tourist visa you choose. An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) visa is valid for 12 months and allows you to stay in Australia for three months. However, you are permitted to leave the country and re-enter for a further three months throughout the validity of your visa.

An ETA visa can be quickly and easily applied for online and is often granted immediately. Once granted, your visa will be electronically linked to your passport and no stamp is necessary.

If your trip will last longer than three months you will need a Long Stay Tourist Visa which allows you to stay in Australia for up to 12 months. A Long Stay Tourist Visa can be applied for online although you may be asked to provide more documentation to support your application, which usually take around 20 days.

While some voluntary work may be permitted on a Long Stay Tourist Visa, you are not permitted to undertake any paid work on either tourist visa.

If you would like to stay in Australia for a year to live and work and you’re aged between 18 and 30, then an Australian Working Holiday Visa (WHV) may be for you. The WHV allows you to undertake incidental work to support your travel for up to 12 months, giving you the time and the means to really make the most of Australia.

If you complete three months of work in a rural area of Australia, such as a fruit picking job on one of Australia’s many orchards or vineyards, you can also qualify for a further 12 months on your WHV.

If you have any concerns about disqualifying factors in your Australian visa application, an experienced consultant will be able to advise you on the best course of action for your circumstances (provided you apply with the Australian Visa Bureau).

Source: This is South Wales